Addiction has the potential to rip families apart and put them in a state of panic from which it can be hard to emerge. However, family therapy and support programs can help make it possible for them to recover in a healthy and caring environment. This not only manages their addiction, but it also helps the individual and their loved ones recover from the problems that influenced the negative atmosphere within the family. At Vertava Health Texas, we offer comprehensive and compassionate family therapy and support.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy and support are designed to create an encouraging and communicative shelter in which a person can recover from addiction. They include a wide variety of treatment methods, including detoxification, psychological analysis, behavioral adjustment and interaction with family members in order to build a solid support group. Typical problems discussed in family therapy include:
- Behavioral problems caused by poor modes of family interaction
- Depression and family conflict
- Negative interactions, communication, and behaviors that influence addiction
- Positive behaviors and modes of communication that can replace them
- Rebuilding and renewing healthy relationships to create a strong support system
Family therapy and support programs use these steps in order to help a person create a more healthy relationship with their family. This helps to manage a variety of scenarios, including addiction in parents, children, spouses and other members of the family. In some instances, it might be necessary to temporarily remove a person from this situation, until it becomes a more edifying and constructive atmosphere.
Beyond this healing goal lies the endpoint of building a supportive environment in which a person can heal and beat their addiction. Family therapy also focuses on alleviating the pain of those associated with the person in treatment, in order to manage the negative consequences that addiction may have caused.
Effectiveness Of Treatment
Research illustrates that family therapy and support programs work. One study examined the effectiveness of these methods, saying “…comparative efficacy studies have shown family therapy to be more effective than nonfamily therapies…” This indicates that family therapy may be a promising way to manage addiction.
Advantages Of Family And Support Therapy
There are many advantages to family and support therapy, including the ways that it utilizes the love and concern that are integral in most families to help a person overcome addiction. It creates a support group that offers affirmative and optimistic help through addiction and abuse. It also helps to identify any negative situations, including potentially dangerous ones, that may influence addiction.
Our therapy offers comprehensive treatment techniques that not only manage addiction but which will improve the nature of the individual family in ways that helps them all to heal and grow together towards a common goal. Family therapy focuses on identifying the following problems and ensuring that they are corrected:
- Negative communication patterns that include complaints, criticisms or passive-aggressive behavior that puts down the family member constantly, without offering positive support or words of affirmation
- Struggles within the child-parent relationship, particularly in the way parents perceive their children and the way their children may feel stifled, controlled or misunderstood by their parents
- Denial from family members, especially parents, which is often used to hide the problem and keep up the current family dynamic, without facing it head-on
- Anger or frustration misdirected towards family members, as opposed to the source, such as yelling at a child to vent anxiety caused by a problem at work
- Unrealistic and negative expectations that foster anxiety and cause a person to get down on themselves, and which may consistently create negative patterns of behaviors within the family
The idea here is to understand just why a family dynamic is negative, how this dynamic influenced addiction and how it can be changed to support recovery. It often requires addiction support groups, such as Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, Co-Dependents Anonymous (CoDA) and Adult Children of Alcoholics, to help inspire a positive and healing environment which supports total family recovery.
The Structure Of Family Therapy And Support
When going through family therapy and support, a person will also receive medical treatments like withdrawal therapy and nutritional advice. In addition, they will also receive psychological and behavioral treatments and therapies, some of which will take on a family-oriented tone. Typical steps in this process include:
- Intervention – The first step in family therapy and support often involves a guided intervention session which helps the person suffering from addiction to understand not only the detriment it holds to their life but the impact it has on the lives of their loved ones.
- Assessment of family interaction – Once therapy begins, a therapist will examine the ways that the family interacts with each other to spot any obvious problems and behavioral patterns that may be contributing to addiction.
- Discussion therapy – Everyone involved in therapy will get the chance to discuss the way they feel about the family and the way that addiction is negatively impacting their lives. Our therapists will strive to a breakthrough in positive ways to build stronger family relationships.
- Behavioral adjustments – All of these therapeutic sessions are designed to help correct negative behavioral patterns, including poor methods of communication and interaction, by teaching people to spot them and manage them before they become serious.
- Building a support group – Once a more loving and conscientious atmosphere has been established within the family, the therapist will work to find ways to help each family member support the other in constructive ways. This is especially true of the person who is suffering from addiction, but all members need support.
In this way, a lasting support group can be built efficiently, so that the family can rely on it as a place of refuge throughout recovery.
We Can Support You In This Way
At Vertava Health Texas, we understand the importance of offering our clients powerful and dynamic methods of treatment and therapy. We know that addiction impacts not only the individual but also the lives of their family members. For this reason, we offer family support and therapy to those clients that choose to involve their family within their care and recovery. Our counseling will help to affirm a more mindful and healthful approach within your family dynamic, one that helps to foster and cement lasting results, both in your relationships and your recovery.
Our expert and compassionate staff will help to educate both you and your family so that you will be more well-versed in sustaining each other through your recovery. In addition, we offer informative webinars that will help your family members learn how to better communicate their needs, questions, and support, while also learning the coping skills that can be so crucial at this time.
Learning More About Family Therapy And Support
Whether you have a strong or weak connection with your family, integrating them into therapy is often a powerful way to boost the success of your recovery. If you are interested in learning more about this particular therapy, please contact us at TreehouseRehab.org today. Our experts can give you the rundown on this recovery method and how it can be foundational within a life of sobriety.