The topic of marijuana use and legalization can be a hot-button issue for some who say it is harmful and should not be encouraged as well as for others who believe legalization is an inevitable occurrence based on trends moving to relax restrictions, especially for medical use. Even though marijuana is legal for personal or medical use in certain states, the use of it can still lead to addiction and adverse health effects, including cognitive impairments.
At Vertava Health, our marijuana rehab center in Texas provides comprehensive substance abuse treatment programs for people who are ready to leave an addiction to marijuana behind. Find out more about our marijuana addiction treatment program in Texas today by calling 844.311.8395 or filling out our online contact form.
Is Marijuana Addictive?
It is possible that marijuana presents much more commonly as a substance use disorder. That means while it isn’t a physical addiction, the use of the substance causes negative effects on a person’s daily life, personal relationships, finances, and can even lead to legal issues.
The standard definition of cannabis use disorder is based on meeting certain criteria, such as:
- Frequency of use – If a person is increasing their quantity of use or using throughout the day, it could indicate dependence or addiction.
- Health – Problems with memory, learning, and difficulty concentrating have been reported due to overuse of marijuana.
- Job or school performance – The ability to learn and retain information is reduced due to marijuana addiction, which can result in making errors and feeling a lack of motivation to meet responsibilities. This can affect advancement opportunities and job security. Additionally, getting a job could be difficult due to having marijuana in the system.
- Relationships with family and friends – Relationships can feel strained because of difficulties caused by the use of marijuana, including financial stress and reduced participation in scheduled activities. It is possible to lose custody or visitation rights of your dependent children if your presence, influence, or unreliability is deemed harmful.
- Legal issues – Legal complications can be minor or major, but regardless they should be a significant concern. They can have long-term and far-reaching effects, such as posing a serious threat to your job security, negatively affecting future job prospects, depleting your finances with hefty legal fees and fines, and even resulting in a license being suspended if a person operates a vehicle while under the influence. This can be a devastating loss in livelihood for many, especially for people with a commercial driver’s license who must have one to perform their job.
- Self-medication – If someone is reaching for a substance to handle an emotional situation, this is called self-medicating. Whether by ignoring the situation or disappearing in order to get high, the fact remains that the problem at hand remains unaddressed. In the meantime, avoidance can cause harm to the person with the problem as well as others.
- Unable to stop using – If discontinuing use is difficult to achieve, this is another red flag that marijuana is impacting someone’s daily life. Any substance that causes problems such as these should be examined for the benefit obtained compared to the loss due to using.
Treatment for Marijuana Use at Vertava Health Texas
If a person continues to use the substance when faced with these adverse aspects, holistic treatment can prove helpful to redirect their choices toward more healthful ones. People who have used marijuana for years and have tried to quit on their own more than six times are most likely to need treatment assistance. That’s why our Vertava Health marijuana rehab center in Texas provides a range of therapeutic approaches to help in recovery, such as:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Mindfulness and stress management
Begin Your Recovery at Vertava Health’s Marijuana Rehab Center in Texas
At Vertava Health, our marijuana abuse treatment program in Texas is the perfect place for people to learn the tools they need to overcome marijuana addiction. If you or a loved one might benefit from our marijuana addiction rehab in Texas, contact our Vertava Health team by calling 844.311.8395 or filling out our online form.