Is anger an addiction trigger? Anger is a natural emotion we all feel in response to stressful situations. It is a fight-or-flight response that is a part of our DNA and can be beneficial in reducing stress and tension. In some cases, men and women can become overwhelmed with their anger, not know how to cope with their feelings, and turn to drugs and alcohol for help. This can cause a situation where they crave more alcohol or drugs when feeling any amount of anger. Anger management and addiction treatment program support men and women struggling to control their response to anger.
At Vertava Health Texas, our team dedicates itself to helping men and women struggling with addiction due to uncontrollable anger, domestic abuse, or other traumatic events. Our behavioral therapists work one-on-one with each patient to understand the root cause of the addiction and develop healthy coping skills for managing their anger and triggers. For more information about how anger can trigger addiction, call 844.311.8395 or fill out our online form today.
Is Anger an Addiction Trigger?
Anger can trigger addiction if a person experiences a traumatic event in the past, witnesses or experiences domestic abuse, or is frightened by someone’s anger. If people do not develop healthy coping skills for processing their feelings when angry, it can lead to addiction, depression, anxiety, or other mental health conditions. Anger can cause several unpleasant symptoms, such as:
- A tight feeling in the chest
- Upset stomach
- Increased heart rate
- Heat flashes
In other cases, it can cause uncontrollable rage and violence. Many people will turn to drugs and alcohol for relief to cope with their feelings. At Vertava Health Texas, our addiction treatment program teach patients healthy ways to process their anger and stop any uncontrollable emotions and behaviors. We go over every step of their treatment program with them and answer any questions, such as whether anger is a substance abuse trigger and what to expect from their treatment program.
The Benefits of Anger Management and Addiction Treatment
Enrolling in anger management and addiction treatment program has many benefits. Patients participate in group and private therapy sessions using various behavioral and holistic therapies while receiving medication to reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Here are some of the benefits of enrolling in anger management and addiction treatment program:
- Behavioral therapists will work one-on-one with each patient to develop a relationship that promotes open communication and true healing. They learn that it is okay to talk about their feelings and how to express themselves rationally.
- Patients will practice coping skills with their peers and participate in several holistic programs. They also gain new perspectives about addiction and how it uniquely affects each person.
- Medical staff will administer medication to minimize withdrawal symptoms and cravings to minimize the symptoms interfering with the recovery process. Moreover, they will adjust the dosage until they find the right combination for maximum benefits with minimal side effects.
- Family therapy is a necessary part of addiction recovery to help restore any broken trust or relationships caused by the addiction. Parents, siblings, and spouses can openly discuss their frustrations or anger in a safe and judgment-free space. They also learn how to create a supportive home environment and participate in the recovery.
Is anger a substance abuse trigger? Each person is unique in what triggers their cravings for drugs and alcohol. An addiction treatment program can teach individuals how to control their anger and ignore cravings.
Learn About Anger Management and Addiction Treatment at Vertava Health Texas
Is anger an addiction trigger? At Vertava Health Texas, we help men and women struggling with addiction caused by their inability to control their anger. Our anger management program is designed to educate and offer tools to understand, manage, and eventually conquer anger. Patients will participate in private therapy to discuss anger triggers. Additionally, they’ll learn to develop healthy coping skills and new positive ways of thinking. Reach out to our friendly team today by calling 844.311.8395 to discover all the benefits of enrolling in our addiction treatment facility.